Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Waiting Game: The Pre-Birth Story

There is a little background that needs to be given to help understand some of the views and feelings we had with this pregnancy.  As some of you know Alena's pregnancy was rather difficult and full of surprises.  It started out very hard, smoothed out a little in the middle and then very unexpected at 34 weeks there was Alena  :)  We were so lucky that everything was ok with her and that she is the sweet, healthy, little girl we have today.  Following Alena's delivery (via emergency C-Section) my doctors said that I should expect early babies with each pregnancy from now on.  We weren't too worried though knowing we could be prepared for it and knowing the wonderful technology there is to help such little miracles.

Well, then came the wonderful news that we were expecting baby number 2.  I was ecstatic but realized that it meant a pretty difficult few months ahead.  Not long after finding out we were pregnant I started getting pretty sick.  Luckily knowing how sick I was last time they put me straight on some good medications that helped me not have such a hard time.  Still had a rough time, but not nearly as bad as it could have been. 

Well, at about 18 weeks I was mostly getting passed the sickness and the doctors felt we should start addressing the possibility of another preterm baby.  My wonderful doctor told me that they had been having a lot of success in treating women with previous preterm babies by having them have weekly progesterone injections.  He told me that the added progesterone helped to strengthen the cervix and the sac that the baby is in to try to prevent early dilation and water rupture.  The progesterone also counteracts the production of oxytocin which is what causes women to contract during labor.  The hope was that in having me do the injections from week 18 to week 35 we would avoid another early baby and another NICU stay.  We were all for it!  As unappealing as a weekly shot in the backside was, it was a far better alternative.  So my wonderful hubby Mike learned how to give me the shot and dutifully stuck a very large needle in my rump every Wednesday night for 18 weeks.  

Dr. Branch wanted us to be aware that though the shots could help, they would not guarantee us a full-term baby.  He told us we should still be prepared for a baby to come at 34 weeks like Alena, so prepare we did  :)  We made sure that everything was ready for our little guy to arrive and my 34th week came and went with no activity.  We were very happy that week 35 followed in a similar fashion.  At my 36 week appointment they checked to see if I was progressing and we found that I was dilated just passed 1 cm and was 60% effaced.  Very normal numbers, but we were excited to know that my body was preparing for little Bryson to come.  Waited through another week while having contractions on and off daily till my 37 week appointment.  We had made it to the full-term mark, something we really didn't expect.  At this appointment we had made a little more progress and I was at 2 cm and 70% effaced.  Our little guys was going to be a full term baby which we couldn't have been happier about, but we now had to address another issue with his delivery.

Since Alena was born by C-Section, we were hoping that Bryson's birth could be a VBAC delivery which is a Vaginal Birth After Cesarean. There are many factors that a doctor considers when deciding to allow a woman to attempt this.  There are increased chances for uterine rupture because of the formed scar tissue and a labor needs to be monitored very closely to ensure that the uterus is handling the contractions okay.  My doctor also had to take into account that my labor with Alena went very very quickly.  He didn't want me to progress too far on my own "Pre Labor" because they want to have you monitored from 4 cm onward.  At my 37 week appointment he told me that if at my next appointment I was near the 4 cm mark they would induce labor to ensure full monitoring during labor.  This got my hopes up  :)  I was already progressing and I noticed my contractions getting more intense and there were even times when they came very very regular.  I figured I was only about a week away from having my little boy!

Well, we made it to my next appointment and I was disappointed to hear that there had been no change that week.  I was still only 2 cm and 70% effaced.  They said not to worry because I was still having my pre labor contractions and they would see me in a week.  I could hardly believe it!  All the contractions weren't doing anything.  I was already 4 weeks more pregnant than I had ever been and I had been mentally prepared for another 34 week baby.  My mind was done being pregnant but my body had other plans.  Day after day I hoped for a change and Mike was so wonderful and supportive.  He tried to keep my mind busy and suggested a night out in hopes that it would be our last one for a while.  We went to dinner and out goofy golfing.  I'm sure that everyone that saw us thought we looked "Goofy" indeed, seeing as how I was waddling around 38 and a half weeks pregnant, but we had a wonderful time.

July 29th, 2011 - 38 and a half weeks

Well, I woke up 3 days later on Monday, August 1st and I couldn't believe it.  I was still pregnant!  Never from the time I found out I was pregnant did I EVER think I would still be pregnant when August came around, but here it was and my little bugger was still inside.  On Tuesday I was 39 weeks and still no Bryson.  I woke up Wednesday to go to my doctors appointment and I just knew that there had to be progression.  I knew that they were going to tell me I was ready to have this baby.  I went in to the appointment very positive and Sam the wonderful midwife that works with my doctor came in to check me.  I was anxiously watching her face as she did the exam and I knew instantly from the look on her face that I wasn't going to like was she was going to say.  Before she could say anything I already had tears in my eyes, "Still no change".  I couldn't believe it.  She could tell how disappointed I was and then Dr. Branch came in and asked where I was at.  Sam told him still no change and he looked at me and said in a playful voice, "This is what you wanted.  You didn't want another early baby.  We did good."  I quickly replied, "You're right I didn't want another 34 week baby, but I didn't want a 40 week baby either!"  I tried to be positive as they talked about the options if I made it to my appointment the following week.  I didn't even want to think about one more week being pregnant.  I'm sorry, but I don't like being pregnant.  The end result is TOTALLY worth it, but I don't enjoy the process, hate me if you want.  We left the appointment and I drove Mike to work.  As soon as he was out of the car I broke down.  I couldn't help the feelings off, "If I had just opted for another C-Section I would have my baby right now because my doctors office schedules them at 39 weeks."  It seriously felt like it was never going to end.  I knew it would, but I just couldn't see an end in sight.  I allowed myself a couple of hours of self pity, but then I knew it was time to just get over it and keep on waiting.

I woke up Thursday and went about my day.  I tried to stay as busy as my large pregnant self would allow, but I mostly lazed around with Alena and waited for something to happen.  Mike came home from work, we had dinner, watched some Netflix and then headed to bed.  Another day come and gone, with no baby.  I fell asleep thinking "How many more do I have to do?" Not realizing the excitement that was going to start only 2 short hours later :)

2 comments:

  1. i'm right there with you, i dislike the pregnant part, i kept telling myself its worth it cause i get a baby in the end. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a teaser! :) Don't make me wait too long to hear all the details on Bryson's birth! :)

    ReplyDelete